[CAUT] Piano database]

Douglas Wood dew2 at u.washington.edu
Wed Sep 5 16:01:48 MDT 2007

Filemaker Mobile should work from a Windows machine to ppc or palm
device. But not from Mac to ppc. ! I use it on my Mac/Palm
combination to great advantage. Filemaker is a major relational
database that can be programmed to do amazing things. Just have to
get the databases set up and linked. I have my personal client file
and service data file linked, and the most recent 5000 records with
me on my palm device. At the UW, we have the keyboard inventory
linked to the room database (all the rooms in which we have
involvement), and to the piano service log. I have not set up a
reminder system at the U because we don't really need it. At home, I
sort and filter for follow-ups.

The important part in working with relational databases is being very
clear on what questions you really want to ask.

My oldest brother thinks I should get a "real database", meaning
Microsoft Access (sp?). But I've been in the Mac world too long to
want to port over without more reason than that. I asked around some
time ago, and my impression was that both are similarly capable as
powerful relational databases, but different in their language
(programming and jargon) and approach. A bit like the diminishing
difference between Mac OS and Windows.

Doug Wood, RPT
University of Washington