[CAUT] Pure Sound M scale

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Wed Sep 5 01:12:12 MDT 2007

Hi all

A good example of exactly what I mean.  Ron is already an accomplished
scaler, and would have no trouble figuring Pure Sound wire specs into
his spreadsheets, so scale Ripper wont help him or hurt Juan at all.  On
the other hand... folks that dont have the expertise in doing this kind
of thing are not capable either of understanding enough about scale
designs to end up with good scales no matter how good their scale
program is.

         > Ed asked if I could post the Steinway M scale for your "look
        see". I
         > asked Juan and he told me NO. (Sorry Ed, Ron, others) I guess
        he feels
         > "ripped off" that Scale Ripper could be given out for free
        when he spent
         > countless hours helping develop the Bonamens program.
         >
         > Jim Busby BYU

    His prerogative, most certainly. Worth an ask, but no problem.
    Ron N

I had this kind of discussion with David Stanwood a few years back.  I
took, and still do, the position that you simply are forced to
acknowledge that in most cases you are "stuck" selling your expertise.
Products will be copied one way or the other no matter what you do.  We
have plenty of examples of this kind of thing. One need look no further
then our own back yard.  Stanwood himself for example is a patented
trademark and by law his logos and name can only be used by licensed
Stanwood Techs. Yet have a gander at the following websites' front
page... the fellow is not licensed.

http://www.davidlovepianos.com/

One has to wonder as well about the seeming acceptance in the US of
radically redesigning instruments while leaving original trademarks
unchanged... basically passing off an instrument as something other then
it is.

My point is that if one is to first hold up with understanding Juans
protectionist standpoint.... how does one justify in turn examples like
the two above... ? ..which are clearly further down the road of
questionable ethics.

As I said... one is left selling ones own expertise... which in my book
is plenty good enough.  If you cant make a good living in this business
on that basis then perhaps a new career choice is in order anyways.

Cheers
RicB