[CAUT] Scientific study - Stainless wire (Help!)

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Sep 4 08:15:43 MDT 2007

On Aug 28, 2007, at 8:29 PM, Jim Busby wrote:

> We did devise a thumper, but I’m wondering is a Disklavier would be
> the way to go. Consistency was definitely an issue with our meager
> spectrum studies. I’m really hoping that these “science professors”
> will take the ball and run with it. That is what they do.

Hi Jim,
	Let me give just a few quick thoughts about "thumpers" and other
devises for activating a key, to give your physicists an idea of some
of the problems involved. The tuning test thumper drops a weight from
above the key. There is a free fall of 6 inches or so before the
weight hits the keytop. It has now achieved a certain velocity, and
is still accelerating with gravity (a simple calculation can give the
specifics). So far so good.
	Now comes the moment of impact. The key is in a state of inertia, as
is the whole key/action assembly. During impact, there is a period
where the colliding bodies "bounce against each other." The weight
slows suddenly, or possibly stops falling altogether or bounces
upward (we'd need some high speed videography to know for sure what
happens). The keytop absorbs this enormous force, which has impacted
it suddenly.
	This scenario is far different in many ways from the way a pianist
plays a key. If he/she plays the key with a great deal of force,
slamming down from above the key (more or less like the falling
weight), the difference is that the mass of the body behind the
finger will push all the way through the keystroke with only a
minimal "rebound" effect. And, as we have seen in various high speed
films, the front of the key will hit bottom before the hammer begins
to move (flex and compression allows this). But this is an unusual
piano technique.
	Far more common is simple pressing of the key, starting with the
finger contacting the keytop, and accelerating the key. This
technique can be used to create a full range of the available volume
of the piano (not counting percussive sounds from the key crashing
into the keyframe/keybed, in that slamming action described above).
And I think that any study involving tonal output of a piano ought to
be based as nearly as possible on normal key activation. The problem
with using a real live pianist is that you can't be sure of exact
repeatability, and being exact is tremendously important in this
area. Joggle a mike, play a little louder or softer, and the spectrum
and even measured pitch will change.
	Askenfeld (did I get that right? the guy in Sweden who put together
the 5 Lectures in PIano Acoustics) said in his lecture that he used a
pendulum to activate a key. This makes some sense, as its velocity at
impact can be controlled by how far it is allowed to swing (position
before letting it go), and bounce is minimized because of the oblique
angle with which it strikes the key. But it is still a rather
artificial setup: a body in motion suddenly impacts the key, and the
arc of movement means that the downward movement of the pendulum
weight is probably decelerating (a pendulum weight moves downward
most when it is at the same level as the pivot point, and it moves
downward less and less as it approaches the bottom. Even though the
weight is accelerating to that point, the geometry is such that its
downward motion is becoming less and less). So I'm not convinced a
pendulum is a good substitute for a finger.
	I guess the disklavier/pianodisc/pianomation systems with their
controlled solenoids do a reasonable job. I haven't really fooled
with them enough to have an opinion. It's going to be a sudden
electromagnetic charge of a controlled amplitude  creating a an
electromagnetic attraction of a corresponding force. Does this
replicate what a finger does? I think a finger has more
possibilities, in terms of how much acceleration it imparts to the
key in any given portion of the key travel. (I have puzzled a good
deal about how it is possible to make one finger's note stand out
when playing a chord. Somehow that hammer had to be given more
velocity. But it all happens so fast, and is so hidden in psychology,
that it is hard to get a handle on it).
	Anyway, I will again say that I think a mechanical devise, with a
system of accelerating levers activated by a weight, and with the
mass and placement (leverage advantage) of the weight being variable,
would be a great contribution to study of any number of things to do
with pianos.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico