[CAUT] Steinway in the hayloft???

Otto Keyes okeyes at uidaho.edu
Sat Sep 1 18:21:12 MDT 2007

Mike Wathen will probably remember an incident in Sioux Falls (don't
know if you were in on that as well, Tim (Coates)) where we were helping
Mark Kreitzer put a piano in a basement.  Customer was renovating the
basement & said they never intended to remove the piano, but really
wanted it down there.  Unique piece with hammered copper or brass relief
scenes on the front.

Mark had everything off that would come off -- action, keybed, arms,
etc.  Only thing left was glued together parts -- sides, feet & strung
back -- still weighed a ton.  Curved staircase w/ sloping ceiling & wall
at the bottom.  Had to start out on one end in the kitchen & be turned
over once on the way down.  Got to the bottom with great
difficulty....only to find we had started on the wrong end & it would
only go one way -- back up!  By the time we got it back up to the
kitchen we barely had the strength to turn it over.  2nd time down came
with experience, so went a bit easier.  I think I left Sioux Falls just
so I wouldn't have to see that piano again!

Otto