[CAUT] CAUT credential vs. academic program?

Willem Blees wimblees at aol.com
Wed Oct 31 18:10:05 MST 2007

We are machine technicians.? What we actually do has little to do with music, whether we want to admit it or not.? Music can be created when we are finished, but it is not necessary to know much about music to do high level piano work.? It seems that persons with high levels of musicianship and musical training tend to pursue our craft, and also tend to be the ones who pursue CAUT work.? But I believe it is possible to do very high level work in our field without much musical knowledge.

Jeff

Jeff Tanner, RPT

University of South Carolina

Jeff

If you read my post carefully,? I didn't say that a degree in music is necessarily?important.?(although piano technicians should at least have a basic understanding of music.).?But that is not?the issue.

The question is, should a CAUT have a college education instead?of just a high school education, which seems to be what most of the universities?are requiring??Should?a college education,?along with being an RPT, in addition to whatever requirements beyond the RPT qualifications the CAUT committee deems important, be a prerequisite for being a CAUT?? Paul doesn't seem to think that the PTG can require that. But if?we can't do that, where do we draw the line? Can we require a university to hire an RPT? Can we require the university to hire CAUT?level tuners?

I think that if the PTG/CAUT wants to get serious about the level of piano tuners working at universities, then lets have the requirements be something university administrators?can understand. To be a CAUT, a piano tuner should have?a college education, and be an RPT?with CAUT credentials,?which should include some sort of management training.?

Comments, thoughts??

Wim