[CAUT] CAUT credential vs. academic program?

rwest1 at unl.edu rwest1 at unl.edu
Mon Oct 29 10:00:28 MST 2007

Eric, Fred, Jim, Don and others of the CAUT committee:

First, I want to join in the applause for the committee.  The tasks
you've been charged with are daunting.  I appreciate your interest
and only ask that your passion be matched with a good dose of realism
and practicality.  If it isn't, I'm sure you know that you'll hear
about it from the multitudes.

Like Dennis Johnson has stated, you've received a lot of input
recently and so now you have to pull all of the comments together
with your own ideas, and produce something workable.  I must admit my
preference lies with seeing some concrete movement in curriculum
development rather than testing.  But I'm not one to stand in the way
of progress.  Many of the major steps forward in PTG have come about
because a dedicated member took it upon himself/herself to follow an
idea to a solid product that  can be put to use.  Also I agree with
Ed that consulting with programs that have worked is a good path to
pursue.  Successful university mentoring/teaching programs,
manufacturers schools, and residence schools could all be valuable
resources.

I've always felt that the CAUT committee was full of potential that
had gone untapped.  CAUT's are a talented group with access to
quality pianos.  Plans that reach out to that group will also reach
out across the country to the very grassroots of PTG.  I've always
felt that as good as the convention is, it only reaches a limited
number of people.  For PTG as a whole to move forward, we need to
find ways to get to the grassroots of the organization. If your
efforts can address that problem, the impact will be greater.  I
would like to see programs that not only help CAUT's to improve/test
their skills, but help CAUT's to educate/train students and
apprentices in their own local communities.  That's a tall order.

And don't be in a hurry.  Kent Swafford in his infinite wisdom once
said to me that projects in PTG can take years to evolve, develop and
mature.  I have to agree with him.

So in spite of what could be construed to be negative comments coming
from lowly Nebraska, I support you guys.  PTG will be better off
because of your efforts and dedication.

Richard West