[CAUT] CAUT Endorsement (was Re: Job Opening, U. of Michigan, Ann Arbor)

Jeff Tanner jtanner at mozart.sc.edu
Mon Oct 22 14:48:21 MDT 2007

On Oct 22, 2007, at 4:52 PM, Richard Brekne wrote:

> Only one point to make.  Nobody I know of on this list deserves to
> have anything that is on their mind described as laughable.

Ric,
I realize it may have seemed I addressed that specifically at you,
but I did not.  You are not the only one who has suggested a music
degree be required or even desirable.  I originally wanted to direct
comments along those lines at the job description which originated
this thread.

But I was a music major -- I did not finish in music, but in business
instead.  But I spent the majority of my college time and since in
and around the music school.  I'm sorry.  I've been in that world for
22 plus years and I've seen what students of music are prepared for.
For anyone to suggest a music degree should be required or even
desirable for a piano technician to be considered for a college
position is based in complete folly.  That is my opinion based on my
experience.  There simply is no justification for such a requirement.

It has been said before on this list (not by myself, but I concur)
that it would be frightening to hand many of these music majors a
screwdriver.  There is little about what is taught in a music
curriculum that has anything to do with what we do.

I'm sorry that you took offense.  Offense was not intended.  But I do
laugh every time I hear such a suggestion.

Jeff