[CAUT] CAUT Endorsement

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Mon Oct 22 15:04:13 MDT 2007

Agreed Eric.

You touch the very heart of the matter.  It goes without saying that a
test does not a great tech make.  On the other hand... thats not the
point.  The point is to provide some form or some part of, as you put
it, a <<proven track record>>.  Of COURSE schools who are interested in
finding someone to head up their piano technology department is
interested in looking for an all around high level experienced tech.
And to me, that also means looking for someone who has concert tuning
experience, along with the other points I mentioned in my previous post
on the matter.

At least... if I was a University director... assistant director... or
whomever responsible for hiring such a person... I sure as heck would be
looking for someone who could show me they knew enough about what they
were doing to be able to do the job.  And, as you say it follows that
the person doing the hiring is qualified enough to make that evaluation.

Cheers
RicB

    Aside from perhaps your experience at USC, why do you think it's silly?
    Why do you suppose they might be interested in concert tuning
    experience? Certainly it couldn't hurt to have a proven track record of
    being able to tune well enough for pianists in a concert situation. I
    agree that a tuning audition might be a bit silly unless there is
    somebody on the search committee who actually knows something about
    tuning.

    Eric

    Eric Wolfley, RPT
    Director of Piano Services
    Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music
    University of Cincinnati