[CAUT] CAUT Endorsement (was Re: Job Opening, U. of Michigan, Ann Arbor)

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 19 10:08:48 MDT 2007

On 10/19/07, rwest1 at unl.edu <rwest1 at unl.edu> wrote:

> Hi, Jim,
>
> After I got out of Western Iowa Tech, I thought I knew quite a bit about
> pianos.  I quickly learned that I still had a lot to learn.  I barely knew
> enough to pass my RPT exam.  In the 35 years since, then, I would have to
> say that the expansion of my knowledge was based on experience, i.e. a
> problem occurrs that I haven't encountered before and I have to deal with
> it.  Hopefully I fix the problem.  In a nutshell that's what I mean by
> "experience based."
>

> A little book that was particularly helpful early in my career was a book
> titled The Piano Tuners Pocket Companion by Oliver Faust.  On one side of
> the page there was a symptom and on the other was the solution.  Early on
> that got me through a lot of repairs, but as I expanded my knowledge, I
> realized that repairs aren't always a simple symptom/solution question.
> Dampers are a good example of what I mean.  You have a ringing damper, but a
> plethora of possible  solutions including ones that don't even have anything
> to do with the actual damper you're working on (sympathetic vibrations or a
> duplex length of string).  But with perseverance you figure out where the
> problem lies and learn what to look for.   This becomes an experienced based
> repair that you add to your mental data bank.
>

> Experience gives you a bag of "tricks" to draw from to help diagnose
> problems, but these tricks of the trade aren't compiled and written down and
> so it's hard for beginners to get what they need to know, without going
> through the school of hard kocks.
>

> The problem in developing materials is multifaceted.  First there's
> figuring out how to deal with the multilayered nature of our work.  Second
> there's the problem of who's going to be using the materials.  Let's face
> it, we aren't all equally gifted in the mechanical arts.  Some people hardly
> need an explanation and others need detailed explanations and even then may
> screw up.
>

> So when I pose the question:  What does a university tech need to know and
> how does he/she acquire that knowledge, I relate first to my own
> experience.  I learned to be less compromising and more exacting in my
> work.  If I wasn't, I'd hear about it.  I went to PTG meetings and picked up
> ideas there.  I scratched my head a lot and just spent the time it took to
> learn how to work on things like harpsichords, an inventory, reports, etc.
> etc.  I persevered.  But it would have been helpful if I'd had a book like
> Oliver Faust's that gave straightforward solutions to common problems.  Also
> I realized that learning multiple ways of doing something, forced me to
> think about what works best for me.  Key bushing is an example.  I've tried
> a whole host of different ways to bush keys.  I'm still looking for the
> perfect system.  I've settled on a system that isn't particularly fast and
> efficient, but it gives me fairly predictable results.

> [...]
are welcome, on this issue, except I can offer a fresh perspective on some
of the issues both personally and professionally.

First of all the University and school pianos that I service are done as a
private contractor so I don't have the situations/pressures that many of you
face every day. On the other hand I frequently am notified in an offhand
last minute fashion of their need for my services. Many times they have
rehearsed on the same piano intended for use for weeks but only think to
tune it 2 or 3 days before the performance! I am then frequently limited to
how much I can do by budget constraints. This however is not why I'm
writing.

Fred Sturm commenting on some remarks made by Richard West, wrote of his
surprising himself when he felt he was a skilled tuner until he began
"following himself" as a CAUT tuning the same piano the next month, week or
day which gave him the opportunity to hone his skills for nailing down every
string, every unison for rock solid tunings.  I like this thinking, a lot,
this is what I strive for, I stopped tuning for my customers over 25 years
ago when I realized that my standards had surpassed theirs. I now tune to
please myself with the knowledge that if I do so, my callbacks will be
non-existant. I do the same with my concert work, with the exception of the
George Winston types who ask for outside of the box things in their tunings.
I had the (good?) fortune to have tuned for a dealer for several years who
supplied pianos for the State sponsored solo & ensemble contests and had
the opportunity to re-examine my tunings week after week each spring for
several years, learning quite a bit about myself, my tuning and it's
stability. I believe Fred made his point but I wanted to cover that part of
it again because it is a very important point.

Another area addressed by a few people was the seat of the pants repairs,
finding that elusive rattle or getting that damper to stop creating that
overtone. I came late to the Guild, I am now very ashamed to say, I spent
the first 30 years of my 38 years in this craft outside the PTG. I had a
mentor who was a member and invited me from time to time but I never felt
the need for some unknown reason. So I came up, remember this was before the
internet and cell phones, figuring out a lot of things for myself and what I
couldn't, I discussed with Paul my mentor and he usually had an answer or
idea for me to try. Consequently I became very good at coming up with plan A
repairs and while I was performing plan A, formulating plan B just in case,
I never got beyond plan D without one of them working!<g>My point is a tech
can go to the best school, read all of the books but if he/she doesn't have
that seat of the pants spirit of,"OK, I've never seen this before but I'm
here, alone so I HAVE to figure it out"! She/He will not make the best tech
and perhaps that should be a consideration on a CAUT test. Throw some "out
of left field" problems at them and see what they come up with. My mentor
used to be one of the testors for the RPT test, back when they used to lay
out a table full of objects and the testee would have to name them for the
nomenclature test. Paul liked to put a non-piano item on the table,
something fairly obscure, usually an antique tool from his collection just
see what the person would say, for fun but I think it was also to see if
they exhibited something that is lacking more and more these days, common
sense. Having the ability to deal with an unexpected problem that develops
in an instrument that you are preparing for a concert without going into a
panic strikes me as the epitomy of a good concert tech and CAUT.

Mike

--
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing
is to not stop questioning.-- Albert Einstein

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404
www.IFixPianos.com