[CAUT] CAUT Endorsement (was Re: Job Opening, U. of Michigan, Ann Arbor)

Fred S Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Mon Oct 15 17:29:02 MDT 2007

Hi Richard,
Good post. I agree with you about trying to get classes
out into regionals. That has certainly been in the works,
and has happened at least a few times. Takes a lot of
energy and work to make that happen. Also agree about
"experience based." That has been the focus for the most
part as we have developed classes. And the aim has been to
develop a series of classes to be offered regularly.

As for Guidelines and tests/endorsement/certification, I
would like to present the notion that these are tools. As
such, they have many uses. For example, The Guidelines
"Workload Formula" that people seem to focus in on is
really designed as a tool to organize your work. If you go
through and answer those questions for each piano, you
will set priorities, decide about future planning
(rebuild, replace, etc), evaluate the humidity control
situation, etc, etc. That use is far more important than
its use to come up with an ideal range of staffing, IMO
(though I don't think it does a bad job of that, either).

Testing and whatever we want to call "caut certification"
(the term endorsement is currently preferred) is another
tool. If a system of testing is developed and put into
place, it will create a meaningful measurement of skills
that pertain to caut work. A caut who passes those tests
and obtains that endorsement can use that tool to sell him
or herself to a college or university. A music department
can use that tool as a way of finding a qualified
technician. A music department and its current employee
(contract or employed) can use it as a way of upgrading
and measuring the upgrading of skills, and potentially job
description and salary. SOmeone thinking about caut work
can use the tests to see if he or she has the skills to
enter the field, and can use the skill set and levels as a
goal to attain.

Now whether or not the organization as a whole wants to
undertake this is perhaps another question, and one that
will be debated intensely I am sure. But even just the
process of discussing the creation of tests will help us
in the long run, as it will force us to focus on just
exactly what skills a caut needs to have. Which leads to
answering the question of what training needs to be
offered.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico