[CAUT] CAUT Endorsement (was Re: Job Opening, U. of Michigan, Ann Arbor), etc, etc....

Wolfley, Eric (wolfleel) WOLFLEEL at ucmail.uc.edu
Fri Oct 12 13:33:11 MDT 2007

Ed et al,

The CAUT committee feels very strongly that a CAUT endorsement or
credential would be very useful both for technicians hoping to improve
their status within the structure of their respective institution and
for technicians hoping to acquire the skills necessary to work at the
highest levels. We are currently working very diligently on identifying
the knowledge base necessary, a curriculum for gaining the knowledge and
skill, and a way of assessing that knowledge and skill. We have been
charged by the Executive Board to accomplish this and will be presenting
our work at the mid-year board meeting for review.

The Guidelines are the result of hundreds of technician-years of
experience and untold hours of work towards their production and
revision. I don't understand how anyone could fail to find them useful
in some way or another. The Guidelines and a potential CAUT endorsement
are meant to be tools a technician can have at his or her disposal to
improve themselves and their employment situation. How they will be
useful will take many different forms depending on the institution and
the personalities involved. Some people will have already met and
exceeded the standards being put forth while others can have something
to aspire towards. There are obviously some employment situations where
these standards are beyond what is necessary and other situations where
they will possibly not be enough. They are just guidelines after-all.

Ed, you inadvertently left out an essential word from the guidelines
title...the full title is Guidelines for Effective Institutional Piano
Maintenance. The key word is "effective". I see the word "effective" as
being a rather subjective term which can be adaptable to many different
situations. The standard for effectiveness in a community college is
going to be different than that of a major conservatory as will the
demands made of the technician. We have aimed our work towards the
highest demands or ideals made of us in academia so that what is useful
in any individual case can be plucked from it.

Eric Wolfley

Chair, CAUT Committee

Eric Wolfley, RPT
Director of Piano Services
Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music
University of Cincinnati