[CAUT] Shift voicers

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Fri Oct 12 09:07:25 MDT 2007

On Oct 11, 2007, at 1:09 PM, Douglas Wood wrote:

> Here are a couple of pictures of "shift voicers" that I have. The
> round one (5/8 birch dowel) has #5 needles--too big. They were
> lying around the shop, and I didn't take the time to recognize them
> as #5's. The handle is actually quite nice for me. The flat tool
> has #6's. Very good for mP-mF voicing level. I'm going to make up
> some #10 or #12 tools for deeper work--harder playing.
>
> Note that I've just set the needles carefully into a narrow epoxy-
> filled saw kerf. I think I used the Exacto saw, or perhaps the
> little Japanese one. Space the needles carefully and leave it until
> hard.
>
> Doug

Hi Doug,
	Nice looking tools. Putting the needles in a saw kerf works okay -
that's what I did the first couple times - but I found that it was
troublesome to get them to be evenly spaced, even length, and to get
the epoxy or CA into the groove and not running out or onto the
needles, so I tried individually drilled holes and found the process
more easily controllable. Obviously that's a personal choice of "what
works best for me." With the holes drilled, I insert a needle in each
hole, sharp end first, and cut off the bottom of the needle (sticking
out of the hole) to length. Then I reverse them all, set them
carefully to length (the holes are just over the size of the needle,
so they stay put well), apply thin CA, spray with accelerant, pop
them in the tool kit.
	I like a bit wider spacing than yours look like. I measured mine,
and centers are from 1 to 1.5 mm. More precisely, I usually have five
needles per tool, and the outer needles are 6 to 7.5 mm apart, with
the others spaced evenly (half the distance for the middle one, then
half of that distance, done by eye). These two spacings are the ones
I like the best, and I have tried narrower (wider doesn't seem worth
trying).
	It's not just for una corda. I use the #12 tool mostly for tre
corde, in the groove touch up voicing. I can go through an entire
piano, all grooves of all hammers in a consistent manner (tapering
top to bottom of the piano) in about ten minutes, and "take the edge
off," take it from the raucous sound of a piano that has been played
too much to a pretty sophisticated "mellower" sound, but not losing
bite at higher force. Very even, very controlled results.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu