[CAUT] Job Opening, U. of Michigan, Ann Arbor

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Wed Oct 10 01:24:54 MDT 2007

Hi David

Most of your questions I think were pretty much delt with in both Jeffs
last and my reply to it.  But to preciserer, the RPT status would not be
eliminated no, its meaning would be more in keeping with what in
actuality the designation represents... a basic skills starting
journeymans credential.

I do see the value of specialized and much harder to achieve <<Meister>>
credentials myself.  But of course only if they are designed to be
exclusive in the positive sense of the word and followed up by an
aggressive marketing policy by the interest organizations who stand
behind these credentials. I think Steinway has shown quite clearly that
this kind of marketing can be done and very effectively.

As far as specifics as to how to implement such,  Sure its tough and
sure its full of politics etc etc.  There are always a million reasons
not to do a thing. But I dont think its crazy to take on a worthy task
despite the difficulties that lay in front.  Questions like who should
be grandfathered in etc would have to be dealt with in that process of
course... but it would seem to me that there is no need for that kind of
thing here... nor would it be desireable.

As for the RPT exams... we should remember that much of the difficulty
surrounding those had to do with the ETD use as part of the tuning exam,
and the fact that it was part of a unification process of two previous
organizations. These kinds of certifications, tho daunting tasks in
themselves... do not have those kinds of problems to confront.

Cheers
RicB

    Most of the school listings I see, would prefer PTG membership and
    RPT status.   Would new listings start including RPT and CAUT status
    preferred or possibly you think the RPT status can be eliminated as
    it has no meaning?   I don't see the need for another
    "credential".   Would the CAUT credential we much harder to
    achieve?   i.e. a "real" test.  Would existing College techs be
    grandfathered in?  Besides, it's easy to talk about it...I know all
    the stuff concerned with RPT status was years in the making and a
    huge amount of work...and the politics...YIKES...who's going to take
    that job on?   Are you guys crazy?

    David Ilvedson, RPT
    Pacifica, CA  94044