[CAUT] Job Opening, U. of Michigan, Ann Arbor

Jeff Tanner jtanner at mozart.sc.edu
Tue Oct 9 12:11:40 MDT 2007

On Oct 9, 2007, at 8:30 AM, Elwood Doss wrote:

> It all comes down to educating University Faculty and Administration.
> Is the head technician at UMich an RPT?  I checked his vita on the
> School of Music website and it stated he was a "craftsman in the Piano
> Technicians Guild," but said nothing about being an RPT...and there's
> good reason for that since he is not.  He's listed in the 2006
> directory
> as an Associate.  That may be why the job description does not mention
> RPT status.  Here the faculty is aware of my RPT status and it garners
> some respect for me.  Even if CAUT members were certified at a higher
> level of competency than an RPT, who would know what that meant
> without
> a huge amount of education on the part of PTG and CAUT?  It would
> be the
> same as we now find with RPT.  I don't think we need more initials
> after
> more intensive exams, we need more education about the present
> designation.  We keep wanting to fix something that "aint broke."
>
> Joy!
> Elwood

Perfectly stated Elwood.  Further, I seriously doubt any more letters
after our name will help with compensation.  As long as we are
willing to keep further certifying ourselves for  the same money, the
expectations keep growing and the money doesn't change.  It's a
market thing.  If CAUT salaries were better, better qualified techs
would be crawling out of the woodwork for these jobs.  But better
skilled techs with established businesses who would leave what they
have for a CAUT position need their heads examined.

Another part of the problem is that PTG doesn't recognize other paths
which are completely credible and it hurts our credibility.  Let's
say a Steinway C&A tech wanted to get out of NY and go to some
college for a change of pace.  Now, an All-Steinway School faculty
would consider such a person a perfect match for their inventory.
But if he ain't in the PTG, we have no vehicle of recognition of his
skills and abilities.

RPT becomes self-serving and its merits hold little water.  I think
not everybody is sold on PTG and the RPT, and that's ok.  We aren't
the government.  We can't require anyone to hold any license or
certification.  All we can do is endorse those who've taken our exams.

On Oct 9, 2007, at 3:01 AM, Richard Brekne wrote:
> As too the salary.  I admit it looks on the surface lower then it
> should.  But one should not forget the value of paid medical and
> dental insurances, along with the usual reductions in tuition for
> family members such jobs usually offer.  These are not specified in
> the note posted... but then that wasnt a readout of the job listing
> perhaps.
>
> There might be one objection that one could raise about paid
> medical insurances I suppose.  Insurance companies in America seem
> to be so capable of finding clever ways of renigging on there
> coverage deals that many of us out in countries like Canada and
> some European companies wonder at the continued support for the so
> called private health system over there....

It just happens that in this case, Michigan is one of the states that
does pay the entire cost of employee benefits and provides very good
tuition package as well.  Or it did at least up until a year or so
ago, which was the last time I looked it up.  But the salary is also
lower to compensate for it.  Other states which require employee
contribution to the benefits TEND to have higher salaries, but that
isn't always the case.  Each state has its own benefits formula and
each one is different from the other.  What is not approximately
equal from state to state is the cost of living, and that doesn't
seem to be reflected in piano technicians salaries very often.

Either way, you can probably cover the cost of similar benefits
better as a self-employed tech.  Self-employed and business owners
get much better tax advantages than employees.

Bottom line, there needs to be some education.  I'm convinced the
perception of our craft is that we are glorified hobbyists.  Almost
every day when someone asks what I do, their response is "you mean
there's that much work over there to keep you busy?", and my stock
answer is "more than enough for three of me."  And I don't know that
the people in this building aren't just as amazed that there is that
much work involved here as the country farmer I just had that
conversation with earlier today.  And, you also have to consider that
the other people who make up music faculties don't see their work as
an occupation.  It is a calling for them, at whatever salary, and I
think they expect the same of us.

We can pick apart every one of these job offers.  The reason they are
what they are is because of those of us who hold positions around the
country.  We have to be willing to make life uncomfortable if we are
going to get salaries improved.  Unfortunately for some, we're seeing
improvement only when a retiring tech petitions for a better salary
for the next hire.  But it is a market driven thing.  And we have to
look at it that way.  There really aren't that many of us out there,
and rather than taking what's offered, we ought to be the ones in the
driver's seat, not the schools.  It's our fault guys.

Jeff

Jeff Tanner, RPT
University of South Carolina