[CAUT] measuring wippen weight

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sun Oct 7 06:59:14 MDT 2007

One other bit before I leave this for other commentary.... Using
anything like half rounds seems to change the dynamics of the KR as
well.  This is pretty easy to see using the flange paper method I
mentioned in my last.  After installing and getting a very fine
regulation... measure DW with just enough weight to move the key without
any assistance (from bumping the table or the like) and observe how the
key moves through the key stroke.  Do this before as well.  We touched
on this a bit back and Stanwood jumped in with something about this kind
of thing being used before in piano history... I'll have to jog through
the archives and see if I can find that post...

Cheers
RicB

    Jon, Anne, Barbara

    I think she does indeed mean a 0.4 change in the action ratio (not a
    0.04
    change in key ratio).

    Bob Marinelli and I were talking about this the other day and he
    mentioned
    that using a half-punching will result in a .5 change in the action
    ratio. I
    have not verified this independently yet, just reporting what Bob said.

    I am currently working on a M&H BB with a 0.57 key ratio. I just put
    half
    punchings on it and will install miracle wips to move the wip heel
    closer to
    the balance rail. I need to get the key ratio down to about 0.52,
    which will
    get my action ratio down from 6.5 to about 5.8. Then I'll be able to
    weigh
    it off at a 38 BW using only a 3-2-1-0 lead pattern (and minimal spring
    assist). As it was I was going to need 5-4-3-2-1 leading pattern and
    a 42
    BW. Not acceptable for this situatio. This with a newly made set of keys
    (not Pianotek)!

     :-(

    Alan