[CAUT] Steinway D elevations

Douglas Wood dew2 at u.washington.edu
Fri Jun 29 13:12:26 MDT 2007

I have a question for those of you with experience in custom boring
hammers. Our heavily-used and very nice D#542295 has an elevation
challenge that I'm working on. The piano generally works very well,
but has a reputation for being "tricky". I think part of this is due
to the following problem:

The string height in the upper tenor is nearly 1/8" higher than the
sections on either side, and note 88 is 1/8 lower than the majority
of the piano.

So, the regulation does work, but that central section has the shanks
a bit high off the rest felts, and the rest of the piano has shanks
nearly on the rest felts. As I say, it works, but I'm considering a
custom boring job to match the bore to the string heights. I will, of
course, revisit stack height before boring, as I'd like to do the
figures only once more.

The real question is, how far from nominal bore spec can one go
before encountering other problems? And should I follow the string
heights closely all the way across, or do more like Steinway does,
and allow regulation to take up some of the variance?

Doug Wood