[CAUT] Aluminum hammer rail (Screw hole) repair

Mark Cramer Cramer at BrandonU.ca
Wed Jun 27 13:12:53 MDT 2007

Don,

thanks, this is a brilliant repair!

I watched the original hole-size shrink before my eyes.

A clearance test with jobber-sized transfer punches proved that the swedging
actually reduced the nominal size of the hole by 3/128ths of an inch, plenty
enough depth for new threads.

The original flange screw re-tapped the hole nicely and I have a serviceble
part once again!

Not counting the time it took for me to run down to the shop and back again,
the repair took less than three minutes!

Again thanks Don, you are an amazing technician and highly valued colleague!

sincerely
Mark Cramer,
Brandon University

PS Okay, so I made a few more lines than you recommended, and my repair
looks more like Phyllis Diller's eyelashes than the iconic morning sunrise,
but it worked!  :>)