[CAUT] Speaking of stability......

johnsond johnsond at stolaf.edu
Tue Jun 19 14:16:11 MDT 2007

Hi-

I've been wondering if anyone has a more effective and/or informed
explanation to give musicians as to precisely why concert grands are so
more much sensitive and require so much more time to be "satisfied" with
than do the smaller grands.  On the surface that probably seems straight
forward, but this is an important point to be mutually understood as we
compete for  limited time in a busy hall.  Certainly concert grands are
more transparent, but this is not to imply that somehow our standards
are compromised on smaller instruments.  We can tune faculty studio
grands once a month and everybody is happy to get it done that often.
During peak times or with goofy weather I'm in the hall almost every
single day.  Last week one got pulled out for a recording that
unfortunately had not been serviced in at least 3 weeks.  We got the job
done, but I'm not sure they really understand some of our physical
limitations.  To the degree that we all have misunderstood limitations,
maybe that doesn't really matter.  Or maybe it does.........  any
suggestions?

thanks,

dennis.
St. Olaf College