[CAUT] University rentals

johnsond johnsond at stolaf.edu
Tue Jun 19 13:41:35 MDT 2007

The past year we started charging rent for requests of our pianos by
non-music department events on campus.  That would include various
conferences, weddings, occasional student events, etc....   We would not
consider sending one our pianos off campus for an event independent of
the music department.  If the music department was to sponsor an event
off campus or had some significant faculty involvement, it's possible an
exception might be made to loan an instrument for that purpose.
They are not available to rent by the public,  and I hope it stays that
way.  Sounds like a nightmare.......

I can imagine that a traditional old policy like that, started with good
faith and will toward the community, could be a hard one to change.
good luck,

Dennis Johnson
St. Olaf College