[CAUT] Steinway repetition center pin height

Andrew Anderson andrew at andersonmusic.com
Sun Jun 17 11:16:06 MDT 2007

Ric,
When Steinway New York builds their grands with the string-plane well
above spec. and does nothing to accommodate that with the action this
can be a very real problem.  This is a problem that is plaguing
technicians in some very big school systems.

A D at one of the schools I service was over-striking by about 3/16"
when brand new.    Some hammer shaping later and it is probably
closer to 1/4".  If the springs were a little weaker I'd be dealing
with occasional catastrophic failure.  As it is, the shanks are well
above the cushions.

On another note the Steinway dealership has refused to look at the
piano so far and it is still under the short warranty.  Their dealer
tech broke a bunch of the drop screws trying to back them out further
then they could so they were not unaware that a problem
existed.  People in the UC system are encouraging the school to seek
legal remedies as the camel's nose for UC to get their same Steinway
problem addressed.  We may yet see a civil suit filed with the UC
system offering amicus curiae briefs.  Wait till that story hits the
front page of Music Trades!

I obtained felt to bolster the whip cushions when the action starts
capsizing but I've kept the springs strong and the key-pins
polished.  The drop screws won't back out far enough to let the
hammers rest anywhere close to the strings at drop so I don't have to
worry about bubbling.  I hesitate to patch on more felt because this
is a warranty issue Steinway should fix and I don't want to be in the
middle "mucking it up."  When I called New York about it they sent
action shims but no warranty service authorization.  I told the
school they could pay me to do it or put the screws on
Steinway.  They said Steinway WILL take the piano back and rebuild or
replace it.

I've had to do it on another piano with the red felt wrapped
over.  Kind of ugly but that piano needs everything done to it and
they asked me for the cheapest, quickest fix and they got it and like it fine.

Sometimes reality just doesn't cut any slack for you,
Andrew Anderson