[CAUT] coupled motion and other myths

Richard Moody remoody at midstatesd.net
Fri Jun 15 23:13:26 MDT 2007

Figures 3 and 4
show the comparative decay rate for vertical vibration modes between one
string vibrating alone and two strings vibrating together. The coupled
string shows an initial peak followed by a steep drop and rise in
amplitude (I think in another place in the 5 lectures it is claimed this
is because of the antisymetric mode kicking in.. somebody may correct me
if I am wrong here.).   The uncoupled string does not show this.

Maybe one the strings had a false beat in it?  He doesn't write about
talking to a piano technician in setting up his seeming elaborate laboratory
like observation of piano stings in vibration.  Yet some of his "readings"
might be due to a common phenomena known by technicians, but  not
necessarily by Science Phds.   It seems in these "studies" the piano tuner
is rarely mentioned, or if so, very offhandedly.  What other authority is
there in scientific experiments on pianos?

OK, even if we all don't agree he knows exactly what is going on, the next
step is replication.  Can anyone demonstrate "coupled motion"   Aurally,
with tuning machines, only in a lab?    Rm