[CAUT] Steinway repetition center pin height

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri Jun 15 01:41:20 MDT 2007

Hi Chris

Excuse my ignorance... but what do you mean by the term <<lock up issue>> ?

Cheers
RicB

    [CAUT] Steinway repetition center pin heightI suppose it depends on
    whether you're happy with the blow distance and the relationship to
    the rest cushion which should be very little space. I was thinking
    more of the situation when you might want to raise the back foot to
    reduce lock up issues. This would throw the hammer center toward the
    player and up a slight bit. If one wanted to keep that center at the
    same place in the air you would need to lower the front foot thereby
    pivoting the whole stack on the hammer centerpin.
    However, it seems that by moving both up that you have solved your
    problem(s) anyway. But notice that most of the factory mountings
    have a higher back foot. This helps avoid lock-up issues. I hope you
    have none.
     What happens to the capstan? I don't know why what you did helped,
    were you trying to compensate for an off spec bore? Or is your
    string height way off? Do you suspect or can you see that someone
    else may have planed the mounting blocks too much? Do you have
    enough capstan thread left? Will your capstans be aprox 1/2" at
    final regulation? Key height fits in the box? I'm sorry to leave
    with just questions but gotta go to KC. I may be able to establish
    email there but my experience with hotel systems is that it is a
    crap shoot so no point in promising to continue, but I would like to
    know how your final result works.
    Chris Solliday