[CAUT] brightening a Yamaha

Rick Florence Rick.Florence at asu.edu
Thu Jun 14 11:13:57 MDT 2007

Alan,

I would first try a strip of fine sandpaper as Don has suggested.
Fitting hammers to strings will also affect a noticeable change in
volume/power.  If this does not work, I would try a bit of deep needling
in the lower shoulders.  My last resort would be to apply a small amount
of acetone/keytop on the crown with a Q-tip.  Applying it this way
controls the amount of solution by how much you allow in the Q-tip and
the pressure you use to apply it.  Solution in this manner is less than
applying individual drops and will bring up the attack quickly.  It can
also be done in the piano and backed down quite easily by scraping the
crown with your fingernail.

Odd to have a discussion on brightening a U1, but I have had to do it
occasionally.

Rick

Rick Florence
Senior Piano Technician