[CAUT] recital hall size/ piano size

Wimblees at aol.com Wimblees at aol.com
Tue Jun 12 14:46:48 MDT 2007

In a message dated 6/12/07 3:39:26 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
piano57 at insightbb.com writes:

Hi all,

I'm serving as a consultant to a local junior  college that is building a new
facility and purchasing instruments for  it.  The recital hall will seat 350.
 Even at this small size (well,  small compared to other places I've worked),
I would think it would be  preferable to be looking at 9' pianos, compared to
something in the 7'  range.  I could be mistaken, though. (I'm a great
consultant, hey?)   I've been told the acoustics will be good (that's what they all
say...).   What do you think?

Thanks,

Barbara Richmond, RPT
near Peoria,  IL

Tow questions. Will the hall be primarily used for solo and small  ensemble
works, or will there also be large ensembles, with piano solo? Will the  hall
always have 350 people in it, or does it seat 350, and they expect it to be
only half full most of the time?

If they have the money, it is always better to have a bigger instrument  than
needed, so that the player can hold back, instead of having a small an
instrument, where the players feel they have to bang to be heard.

Just my opinion.

Wim