[CAUT] treating existing bridges in restringing

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Tue Jun 12 14:30:00 MDT 2007

Tom-

Bill Spurlock published an article on epoxy treatment of bridges before restringing (PTJournal ca 1995).  I think Ron Nossaman's approach of drilling deeper and driving the pins to height is a good improvement.  Renotching and repinning with epoxy seems to give a clearer sounding instrument, and also seems to be less sensitive to humidity.  It's a standard procedure in my little shop.

Pianos being the complex and expensive gadgets that they are, we don't get many chances to make controlled comparisons.
You are in the interesting position of rebuilding two M's at the same time.  Surely there is some special comparison you can make!

Ed Sutton