[CAUT] dealing with humidity (was Re: pre-stretching new string?)

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Jun 12 14:14:42 MDT 2007

 >So I would want to
> change the mind set, maybe leave time for soak in and actually paint the
> surface nice and wet, then clean off excess. I'm thinking it would make
> sense to try the bottom unisons of a tenor bridge, to see what effect it
> might have. Not sure if I can fit that in this summer or not, at this
> point.

Don't count on it soaking into the surface cross grain,
because it won't much. Getting it in the hole, however, I've
seen CA wick over 15mm and out the end grain of my bridge test
samples. I'd expect epoxy to go that far too.

> How much of a
> vapor barrier will the residue on the outside of the bridge be?

Nearly no benefit. What you're doing is filling the voids in
the wood structure with plastic so moisture won't have a place
to go, and if it did, the wood is essentially locally
petrified, which limits dimensional changes.

Play with it when you get the chance.
Ron N