[CAUT] pre-stretching new string?

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Mon Jun 11 03:56:47 MDT 2007

David

Below are your two posts on the matter.  The lower post clearly states
your original claim... which I fail to see you have supported.  In
fact... half of it is directly wrong as the example I gave showed.
Diameter doesnt play into it at all... tho it seems pretty clear you
claim it does.  As for the rest...see subsequent posts.

The upper quote suddenly jumps into a new claim about breaking point
percentages which is off in an entirely different tangent.  Breaking
precentage is not part of any tension formula... it is a procedure of
its own. So this fits into a claim that you can (and I quote)

    "You can certainly rewrite the formula to isolate pitch, or tension,
or length, or diameter."

er... how ?

Perhaps you have a way of calculating change in pitch from change in
length with some breaking % formula now ?  Please... if you have some
formula the rest of us do not... share it with us.  I spent a couple
months exchanging posts with Mark Davidson, Sarah, Alexander Galembo,
Jim Ellis, Rhodes, Askenfelt and a couple others and each and every one
of them reviewed Galembos paper to me and agreed this was the basic
approach and a quite adequate one as well of calculating change of pitch
for change in length.

Cheers
RicB

    Grin
    "You will find in the example you listed below that since both speaking
    lengths are equal, they will both yield equal break point percentages.
    While you have to increase the tension in the string with the greater
    diameter, it also has a higher break point so the break point percentage
    does not change.  Set up your example using two notes different speaking
    lengths to begin with so that the BPPs are not equal.  Then run your
    calculations for an equal change in length. "

        "Sorry, but it's not quite a complete enough formula for
        purposes of this
        discussion.  When comparing two strings that produce the same
        pitch but with
        different tensions, either the original length will be different
        or the
        diameter will be different (or both), thus a similar change in
        length will
        yield a different change in tension and thus pitch."