[CAUT] pre-stretching new string?

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Sun Jun 10 17:23:25 MDT 2007

On 6/9/07 4:53 PM, "Ed  Sutton" <ed440 at mindspring.com> wrote:

> Wegman and Wurlitzer (and perhaps other companies) made pianos with cast iron
> pinblocks.  Tuning records on these pianos might reveal something.
> ES

I service a Wurlitzer with Wegman pin setup on a regular basis. Its response
to humidity change is very similar to that of other pianos. There is also no
difference in the way unisons go out of tune: same pattern of left to right
string differences.
    I have taken this, plus a lack of any observable pattern of pitch change
relative to the Steinway tuning pin pattern (extreme offset of pins, unison
to unison) to convince myself that swelling and shrinking of the pinblock is
not a major factor in unison issues, and probably very minor in all humidity
related tuning variances. I¹d be happy to hear of opposing viewpoints, or
contradictory data, if such things exist.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico