[CAUT] pre-stretching new string?

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Sun Jun 10 14:56:45 MDT 2007

At 10:11 am -0700 10/6/07, David Love wrote:

>Sorry, but itÕs not quite a complete enough formula for purposes of
>this discussion.  When comparing two strings that produce the same
>pitch but with different tensions, either the original length will
>be different or the diameter will be different (or both), thus a
>similar change in length will yield a different change in tension
>and thus pitch.

If this were so, then the whole basis upon which musical instruments
are designed would crumble.  When you halve the length of a vibrating
string, no matter how much strain is on it etc., you double the
frequency, and if you stop two unison strings of identical length but
of different mass, and thus tension, at the same point, you will make
precisely the same change in their frequency and they will still
sound in unison.  If this were not so it would be impossible to play
a guitar in tune unless the tension of all six strings were identical.

According to Wolfenden, if the temperature changes, and one of the
strings is well below its yield point whereas the second is close the
yield point, then the strings will produce a beat because the less
strained string is more sensitive to the change in temperature.  This
is easy enough to verify by a simple experiment, which I shall do in
the next few weeks once the new workshop is up and running.

JD