[CAUT] pre-stretching new string?

Bob Hohf rhohf at centurytel.net
Sun Jun 10 10:46:11 MDT 2007

Hi Ron,

Thanks for your comments, but I'm afraid that I'm one of those who's doomed
to an eternity of skepticism regardless of how many times you repeat it.
Based on the discussion and my own experience, the only thing I would say
with certainty is that the causes behind the effects are debatable.  But
isn't this the name of the game when it comes to pianos?  It's relatively
easy to make all kinds of observations of what is happening, but then coming
up with the definitive "why" is often very difficult if not impossible.

> I dont try at this point to explain this or related questions.

I appreciate this comment from Ric.  It doesn't bother me a fig to admit
that I just don't know why.  My experience also suggests that having
plausible explanations usually has little or no influence on what I do in
the shop.  I've done plenty of research and analysis over the years, which
has been useful in understanding what the options are.  But in the end, I
usually toss it all and do what seems best.

I think we should avoid going the way of today's climate scientists.  They
have unbelievable tools to play with, and can generate and crunch huge
mounds of data.  The problem I have with them is that they expect us to
believe they know how to predict the climate when they can't even forecast
the weather.

Bob Hohf