[CAUT] pre-stretching new string Wet vs Dry Soundboard

Don pianotuna at accesscomm.ca
Sun Jun 10 07:21:07 MDT 2007

Hi Ric,

The bridge is not a ridged termination. (coupled motion of piano strings).
If the rigidity changes with humidity then the string may appear longer or
shorter thus affecting pitch. Dean Reyburn refers to this effect as “para
inharmonicity”i.e. Inharmonicity can be different (even sometimes negative)
than the values calculated by length, diameter and tension because the
bridge and soundboard affect the termination of the string.

His first efforts to generate tunings relied on measurements of length and
diameter of strings. The generated tunings were then uploaded via a midi
cable to a SATII.  They didn't always “fit” the piano.

It is also why “stored tunings” don't work well in areas where humidity
changes by more than a few percent.

I believe that some SAT users have documented inharmonicity tends to lower
over time when a piano is kept “at pitch” as the strings conform to the
bends in their length at the capo bar and the bridge pins.

At 12:46 PM 6/10/2007 +0100, you wrote:
>Hi Mike, Andrew... whomever...
>
>I am not sure I understand whats being said here.  If a string is
>vibrates at a given frequency, how does the degree of stiffness of the
>board significantly alter this pitch ? Anyone care to explain the
>mechanism for this ?
>
>Cheers
>RicB

3004 Grant Rd. REGINA, SK, S4S 5G7