[CAUT] Dampp Chaser with bottom & Edwards String Cover

Andrew Anderson andrew at andersonmusic.com
Sat Jun 9 20:06:39 MDT 2007

Fred,
Down here in Laredo, humidity is quite an issue.  In the larger
institutions they use chilled water to condition the air coming into
the buildings and during the air conditioning season (quite long
here) I rarely measure humidity under 70%.  I occasionally measure
humidity over 80%.

In residences with regular air conditioning the humidity will
sometimes drop to 45%.  In winter we occasionally get drops into the
mid thirties when a "cold" front passes down through.  Otherwise the
humidity is usually in the fifties and higher in homes.

This has quite an impact on tuning stability as they call me at the
least opportune times.  I tune in the fall when relative humidity is
in the seventies and then in January when it is generally in the
fourties.  Opposing pitch corrections each time...

I've been pushing humidity control and string-covers.  The community
college went for humidity control and it has made a big difference on
their S&S D and the rest of their piano stock.  Their tuning fees
went down too.

Here in our studio we have several Sauter Grands and a refurbished
Everett Concert Grand.  Sauters are quite stabile when compared to
the Chinese pianos (weather yo-yos) in the studio but they do move
with the weather.  I put a full DC system with undercover and Edwards
string-cover on the Sauter Delta and tuned it up about a week
afterwards.  Six months later I could barely detect any unison
drift.  I've put a full system on the Everett with undercover and
string-cover and I think I might be able to get a stabile action
regulation in it now.  Tuning-wise, it was not entirely stabile with
the DC system alone with undercover.  The addition of the
string-cover has made quite a difference.

Adding a string-cover is not without sonic consequences.  Think of
the sound you hear 15 to 20 feet away from the piano as compared to
what you hear right up close to it.  That is how I would describe the
difference.  If the piano tends to be a little too brilliant, the
addition of a string-cover generally will satisfy the pianist.  If it
is quite mellow, you might have to add some bite.  Generally from a
distance the difference was not obvious.  Its the really high
partials that seem to be damped.  Basically duplex noise and other
trash that no-one notices in the audience but annoys the **l! out of
the pianist.

I've been quite satisfied with the results.  My wife records and it
has reduced the need for tunings to something a little more manageable.

I recommend string-covers first and the addition of a DC system
second.  String covers do keep things clean and condensation off of
the strings.  Wool ones buffer humidity.  A DC system with a
string-cover is much more effective.  I've lived with DC system only
in several pianos  including another Sauter and compared to the
covered one it was not as stabile.

YMMV
Andrew Anderson,