[CAUT] pre-stretching new string?

Cy Shuster cy at shusterpiano.com
Fri Jun 8 07:23:05 MDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Don" <pianotuna at accesscomm.ca>
To: "College and University Technicians" <caut at ptg.org>
Sent: Thursday, June 07, 2007 12:48 PM
Subject: Re: [CAUT] pre-stretching new string?

> I think that brings the focus of pitch change directly to the bridge and
> bridge pins. That #2 is possibly the main frame, and #3 is the pin block.
>
> If I had to guess at distribution numbers for a 20 cent pitch change at A4
> I'd distribute the numbers as 9 cents for the bridge/pins, 7 for the main
> frame, and 5 for the pin block.
>
> Regards,
> Don Rose, B.Mus., A.M.U.S., A.MUS., R.P.T.

Don,

I'm having trouble visualizing the change of dimension of a cross-laminated
pinblock with humidity.  Do you think the change in the horizontal plane is
the significant factor?  Does it get thicker, too?  If it gets larger in
every dimension, like a dry sponge, then the pins farther from the plate
flange should move away from the hitch pin more than the close pins do.

--Cy--