[CAUT] pre-stretching new string?

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Jun 7 11:30:28 MDT 2007

> Would the pitch-change effect then be less, if not negated, by vertical
> bridge pins.

The pitch change would be less, because the string path length
wouldn't change. You would also lose the clamping effect of
the slanted pins.

>In other words, any guess as to how much of the bridge
> affecting pitch change is due to the slant of the pins as compared to
> the offset angles?

The pin slant is what does it. Push a string up a pair of pins
slanted away from each other, and the string path length
increases, stretching the string and raising tension, therefor
pitch. The big offset angle magnifies the effect, but the pin
slant causes it.

>Has anyone who works with a Wapinized piano
> observed greater tuning stability after the modification?
>
> Alan Eder

The Wapin installation still has a pair of oppositely slanted
pins in addition to the vertical one. I would, however expect
the Wapin configuration to show less long term compression
damage at the speaking length notch edge because of the
vertical pin.
Ron N