[CAUT] pre-stretching new string?

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Wed Jun 6 16:08:29 MDT 2007

On 6/5/07 6:51 PM, "Fred Sturm" <fssturm at unm.edu> wrote:

>   Jim Arledge swears by tuning a full set of bass strings 100 cents sharp,
> then coming back next day. He demonstrated that at Nashville, on the
> convention hotel bar piano. (Talking about replacing only the bass strings,
> not a full restring)
Hi all,
    I got a post off list correcting me on the above. Jim Arledge leaves the
strings at plus 30 cents over night. I think my memory got muddled. He
probably said pull 100 cents sharp initially (chipping one string after the
other), do your seating and leveling and whatnot, then tune to 30 cents
sharp and leave it over night. Then return in the morning and you can do a
pretty stable fine tuning. Apologies for inaccurate reporting.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico