[CAUT] chipping, was Re: pre-stretching new string?

Michael Jorgensen jorge1ml at cmich.edu
Wed Jun 6 11:32:08 MDT 2007

 I lay a blanket over the strings to dampen the sound some.   Tune all the
Cs on the whole piano including unisons, then Fs, Gs, etc. by my temperament
sequence. Two passes takes less than 50 minutes and keeps tension equal and
provides a piano at pitch.  I let it rest while I space hammers, do initial
complete regulation, even do some first stage hammer filing, and install
dampers.  After this work,  (days), pitch raise plus a 30 minute tuning.  Do
another regulation and even some tone regulating.  (days go by), Another
pitch raise plus an even better tuning  (passes 5 and 6).  I am doing now
doing final regulating  and voicing and the piano is getting very stable.
-Mike Jorgensen