[CAUT] chipping, was Re: pre-stretching new string?

Wimblees at aol.com Wimblees at aol.com
Wed Jun 6 07:16:35 MDT 2007

In a message dated 6/6/07 8:02:22 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu writes:

I agree Wim,

That is exactly the same method I use.  When restringing a whole  piano,
however, I only tune sharp by 30-35 cents for three to four tunings,  then tune at
440, then re-settle the strngs with tapping at bridges, re  squeezing
beckets, tightening coils, releveling, if needed, then tune again  perhaps slightly
above 440.  If it is the humid time of year, I'll just  tune at 440 as nature
will pull it sharp for a few months.  Then, it's  pretty stable after that.

Best,

Paul

I want to add that when stringing, I also do all of the above, (tapping,
tightening, etc.) I just assumed everyone does those things, and that it is
nothing "different". Also, when I chip, the first note is a semi tone sharp. As  I
said, by the time I get done chipping the piano, and probably when I'm about
a  third of the way through, the pitch of that note has probably dropped to
about  even, or even lower than the pitch.

BTW, here is my chipping technique. I wonder if this is how others do it.

I chip the left string of the first note at the break. (I get my  pitch from
another piano. When I was in St. Louis, for a while I  had my shop by my
house, and often didn't have another piano to get a  pitch from. So I would go in
the house, and play the note I needed, and then  hummed it while walking back
to the shop. I guess if anyone would have seen and  heard me, they probably
though I was crazy. ((No comments please)))

I "play" a major scale all the way to c8. (I do this aurally). I  then go up
a half a step, and again chip only the left string. Of course the 3rd  and 7th
notes are already in tune, so that more or less gives me a  guide. When I get
done with the right strings, I tune the left strings, but  chipping every
note. I then chip the bass section. Finally I go back and chip  tune the middle
strings. I believe this evens out the tension as much as  possible.

Comments??

Wim