[CAUT] Moving Piano to Mexico

Andrew Anderson andrew at andersonmusic.com
Mon Jun 4 18:50:40 MDT 2007

Mr. Becker,
We occasionally sell new pianos to customers in Mexico.  Mexico lacks
the infrastructure and support we are accustomed to.  She will have
to pay duty, but the fact that it is used and its age will reduce it
significantly.  Pianos are expensive in Mexico.  Whoever is handling
customs on her household should be able to handle customs for her
piano.  In fact that is how many customers like to sneak new stuff
through as used.  Mexican import taxes have made pianos rather
expensive in Mexico.

As for technician support....  The technician most highly rated in
Monterey was a total failure for me when it came to easing keys on a
new piano that was delivered there.  I had to go down and do it
myself after he wasted time and money.  I have people begging me to
do some work in Mexico City and offering to pay my airfare and
lodging.  Doesn't look good from where I stand.

Andrew Anderson