[CAUT] Voicing method/analogy

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri Jun 1 11:54:31 MDT 2007

Hey there Don,

I'll agree that there has been a hefty portion of this, that, and the
other marketing technique through time.  But then one can hardly single
out Steinway for this. Yamaha has been virtually giving their CF 111
away for years in similar fashion in attempts to win over.  This kind of
thing probably goes on in just about any branch in one way or the other.

My point is that none of these kinds of reasons can explain the market
share Steinway has had through the years.  At least I cant see that they
do.  We are talking about a 95 % market share of the concert venue
sustained for over 100 years.  You could take the next 10 best companies
of any branch in the entire history of mankind and add them together and
still not find anything to compare with this.

For me... this can only be explained in one way... despite all the
interference from marketing, mystic, and mellodrama.  The Steinway sound
and performance has set the standard... won the hearts of that huge
majority... hit on the sound that seems to stir the best... whatever.
The sheer numbers of their dominant position dictate that the darned
thing is a pretty fine product, despite all the criticisms justified or
not that are levied against them.

Sure... it takes a knockout punch in the 5th round to beat the champ
once and for all.  But nobody's done that yet... and hey... a champ
doesnt get there in the first place unless he's pretty darned good to
begin with.

Cheers
RicB

    Hi Ric,

    I've been told that Steinway offered to provide a piano where ever the
    performer was playing. In return the artist was to demand a Steinway
    piano
    and nothing else would be "good enough".

    I believe this created for the man in the street the same sort of
    myth that
    Stradavarius violins are "the best ever". It does not matter whether
    it is
    true or not.

    Myths are hard to kill. Even for international companies with deep
    pockets.

    It would seem to me that Steinways recent attempts at inovation have
    been
    flawed by lack of testing and have largely blown up in their face.

    It would be interesting to ask ten local musicians to name the piano
    brand
    they would recommend buying--and which brand (price no object) they
    would
    prefer to own.