[CAUT] How many DC tanks, (was undercover Heat n Bond)

Don pianotuna at accesscomm.ca
Mon Feb 26 21:00:25 MST 2007

Hi Barbara,

I'd usually try one bucket with bottom cover and Edward's string cover--but
the client already has the the two bucket system--so it may as well be
used. A tiny bit more work--but the humidity output will be doubled--and
the cycling speed will be faster--which should lead directly to smaller
pitch changes.

Bottom line two buckets work better than one *if* there is room to install
them.

The current install is obviously not working if you had a significant pitch
correction needed.

At 07:17 PM 2/26/2007 -0600, you wrote:
>Hi Mark,
>
>Thanks for your responses about the Heat n Bond.  I received the information
>you sent to Roger Wheelock and am ready to charge ahead.
>
>I'd like your opinion (or anybody else's).  Here in Central Illinois we go
>through some pretty large humidity swings.  I serviced, for the first time,
>a Steinway B, in an majestic, though old, brick country house (high, high
>ceilings, hot water heat), where they do not normally use air conditioning
>in the summer.  This piano has a DC system, installed by a guy who generally
>makes "big deal" out of a lot of stuff.  Anyway, it's a two humidifier
>system, under the beams; he attached plywood the same rectangular shape of
>the baffles to the beams.  Then the tanks hang pretty far below the plywood,
>the baffles hang between the tanks and the plywood.  Darn, why didn't I have
>my camera with me.  It looks genuinely hideous and I still had to do a
>significant pitch raise, so I'm not sure how much this installation is
>really helping.  Then there is an issue with the keys in the summer.  I
>would like to do an in-between the beams installation with undercover, and
>an added heater bar under the keybed.  I'm also recommending an Edwards
>string cover.  I think that the high humidity in the summer is the bigger
>problem.  OK, so here's the question.  If I switched to a one tank system
>and used an undercover, do you think it would do the job?  My not very good
>hygrometer said that the humidity level was at 28% when I was there last
>week, so it doesn't appear to be one of those horrifically dry environments
>(for winter).   Would you automatically put a two tank system in a B or
>would you only put two tanks in when dryness was extreme?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Barbara Richmond,

3004 Grant Rd. REGINA, SK, S4S 5G7
306-539-0716 or 1-888-29t-uner