[CAUT] aches and pains

Scott E. Thile scott.thile at murraystate.edu
Fri Dec 21 10:11:22 MST 2007

Wow Don, that's exactly what I have have struggled with on and off for the
last 15 years! It happens while tuning, especially in my left hand and arm,
which I use for banging in unisons. I've also had it in my right hand and
arm, but that is not as pronounced in terms of pain and numbness, although I
have been diagnosed with carpal tunnel in the right wrist, while they found
nothing in the left. What you describe is exactly what I've experienced
there. My left hand also goes numb (especially the little and next finger
over) when I play double bass during prolonged sessions, and especially on
difficult passages. No doubt that's related as well.....

Thanks very much for the tip, Don! I'll be following up on this for sure....

On a related note. I've had back issues on and off for years, and been
having a very bad bought of pain for the last two 1/2 months. It's likely a
pinched nerve which is referred off to my left side and buttock. I've got
bulging disks at L1 and L2, as well as general degeneration in the rest of
my spine. I'm going to a physical therapist for this and I'm on
anti-inflammatories.

Thankfully I found positions for tuning that got me through the busy end of
semester flurry and jury times, but I can't do any kind of rebuilding work
that keeps me standing for any length of time. I'd hoped to get some
rebuilding done over break, but that's out except for maybe some light
action work. I'm hopeful I can get this under control without surgery, but
even so, it's no picnic!

I'm nearly sure this back trouble was either caused, or at least made much
worse by piano moving in my stupid early years in the biz... I have tried
being careful the last 15 years or so, but my guess is the damage was done
more like 25 to 30 years ago. Some of this at least is also likely some long
ago injury in a motorcycle wreck and a couple of car accidents, a bad slip
while fly fishing about 6 years ago, and all kinds of other life long
stupidity!

Be careful! Especially any young guys! It WILL catch up with you! I also try
to watch out for the guys on our campus moving crew. When possible I
supervise the piano moves, and try to make sure everyone is lifting
correctly, but it's often hard to tell. I also try to limit the need to have
pianos moved in the first place. Faculty, guests, administrators, and others
just don't get it sometimes... I feel responsible for these guys and try to
watch out for them. I've headed off at least half of the moves that are
suggested over the last few years, and it has virtually no impact on the
quality of performances or education either. I think it's only a matter of
time before someone gets hurt, and my guess is we are setting these guys up
for some serious issues latter in life, if not right away.

Thanks again for the tip Don. This has been an interesting couple of
threads!

Merry Christmas to those that celebrate it, and all the best in the New
Year!

Scott