[CAUT] Killer Octave... so what ?

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri Dec 21 00:35:48 MST 2007

Hi Phil

The pitch was taken down because of recent research done as to the pitch
Edvard Grieg himself used. The old wax roles were looked at closely and
along with referencing many historical documents, the researches arrived
at the conclusion that Grieg usually played around 434-436.  This was
not uncommon at the time either. If you play his wax roles so as to
arrive at a pitch of 442 they sound incredibly fast playing and rather
comical.

The producers here wanted to reproduce phrase for phrase what Grieg's
playing style was.  So referring to digital copies of the old wax
recordings at the pitch they believe was correct and then reproducing
these on Grieg's own piano rather required having the instrument at the
same pitch. One could have of course sped up the digital versions of the
wax recordings... but that would have made it difficult to emulate
Grieg's style.  And... they also wanted to get the same tonal pallet
that a lower pitch yeilds.

I believe the killer octave improved because the lower tension across
the board equates to a slight reduction in corresponding down bearing
over the entire panel (depending on bearing angle at any given place of
course)  And because the string plane as a whole represents a less stiff
vibrating plane for the panel to deal with.  Essentially, the panel
becomes more stiff relative to the string plane... only because the
string plane itself becomes physically less stiff.  Thats my best guess
at any rate.

If you compare the link to the MP3 to the very short bit with the TV
spot you may be able to discern some of the change.. tho the TV spot
sound was only done with a camera mounted microphone.

Cheers
RicB

    Ric, why did you tune down to 436 in the first
    place?

    I can understand the bass being improved, but
    the killer octave? We have to take your word on
    it..but why the 24 cent pitch reduction?

    -Phil Bondi(Fl)