[CAUT] Killer Octave... so what ?

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Thu Dec 20 21:43:40 MST 2007

Right. We always talk about stiffness compromised treble sections in terms
of sustain, but it is interesting to note that on many historical pianos
with very light scales and similarly light weight, often older and not
terribly stiff assemblies, the sustain in the upper areas seems quite
adequate. The lower tension scales definitely have their own character but,
as has been argued many times, when the scale (and accompanying downbearing)
matches the soundboard assembly and with it you put a hammer of appropriate
weight/density/resilience, good things can happen. It's the mismatch between
those three components either by poor execution, design or change over time
that most often creates tonal problems--all other things being equal, of
course--and reduced to the simplest terms. At least that's my observation.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com