[CAUT] Tuning with right hand vs. Left

Willem Blees wimblees at aol.com
Thu Dec 20 10:14:55 MST 2007

I am naturally right handed, except I throw a ball left handed. So when I started tuning, I naturally used my right hand. On grands with the treble side against a wall, I will tune with my left hand, although I still have better control if?I put the hammer at 9 o'clock.

Once I had a very bad sore right shoulder, and I tried to tune an upright left handed. I was able to get through it, but my left shoulder got so tired, I couldn't concentrate on the tuning.

There?are pros and cons for tuning uprights and grand left handed. Do what ever works for you. It seems like you're?ambidextrous. That's a big plus in our industry. Keep it up. ?

Willem (Wim) Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
Honolulu, HI
Author of