[CAUT] improved duplex (mystery solved)

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Dec 16 11:31:42 MST 2007

> I notice you've effectively dampened the "whistle factor" by neglecting to blacken the raised plate-lettering, and failing to underscore it with the equally decorative (whistle-worthy) graphite on the bridge cap. ;>)

I didn't blacken the lettering, because it's no longer a
Steinway plate. Graphite on a bridge cap mostly just provides
visual contrast so the notcher can see what he's doing. It's
not necessary for bridge cap lubrication.

> However, I fear you may raise the "squawk" level with the maxi-just hitch-pins and plate-pleaser rim bolts. :>)

So far, the only squawking has been from the icon
anti-desecration squad, which can be muffled by closing the
door. The users are quite pleased with the sound.

> Meanwhile, your front duplex will have the Euro-makers in an over-steer induced, compass-needle-bending, four wheel-drift... "is zis not vhat ve hav been do-ingck all along!?"

Hey, just because the Euro makers have been doing it doesn't
make it wrong. <G> What works, works.

> BTW, any photos of your more recent laminated bridge cap?

Attached. Actually, the D+ in the front duplex photo has this
same capping. It just doesn't show up in the photo. I've been
using this stuff for about three years now, and haven't yet
heard, or heard of any developing false beats in any of them.
I *really* like it.

> thanks,
> Mark Cramer,
> Brandon University
>
> PS I notice the understring felt in the front length. The current Baldwin de-tuned capo (last 20 years or so)(no felt or braid) generates the most inharmonic hoots and whistles of any instrument I know of, yet damping the front-length (tween tuning-pin and foremost termination) doesn't do much to clean this up.

Those noises are coming from the active duplex, not the front
length. The segments are too long.

> My favourite is the wonderful "bowing" sounds while tuning, as strings render across the hardened duplex peices. Add this to the strumming of some over-worn horizontally-grained damper felt, and you've got all the makings of a commissioned new-music work.

Yes, quite fresh in memory. I tuned a newish Baldwin L Friday.

> The one-peice termination strip (like yours) however, as I've encountered in various Euro pianos, Knabe and others, are typically quiet.

It'll work with as many pieces as you like. It's the shortened
segment length that does it.
Ron N