[CAUT] becoming an all Steinway School

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Mon Dec 10 01:27:58 MST 2007

Hi Micheal

I am all for Diversity... and I hear your point loud and clear. For that
matter I agree 110 % as far as it goes.  My point was simply that from
what I've observed out there in the world, this same diversity seems
more often then not accompanied by, if not downright a result of,  some
lessened degree of attention paid to what is purchased and why... and
how things are to be maintained.  I see that the all Steinway concept
seems to create an aura around piano maintenance that counter acts this.
And one which attracts a certain degree of quality with regard to
teachers and students. This is of course debatable but there are some
statistics out there that should be looked at when drawing conclusions
about the whole thing. The basic question is whether that general
increase in quality all around, to whatever degree it is valid, is worth
the sacrifice in diversity that is required.

I certainly would prefer an all Steinway School relationship to many of
the school situations I've seen around America and Europe. That said...
I've not been to  many of the major music universities to observe the
condition and general quality of their piano parks, how they are taken
care of and in general how piano technology is viewed/appreciated.  We
get quickly back into the earlier discussion we had about CAUT
certification here.

Cheers
RicB

    Diversity is the message behind this all. Diversity helps the universe:
    wether it be populations within society, diversity of opinions,
    diversity of
    organic life, diversity of ideas and creativity, or diversity of
    instruments. With diversity we are insuring the future success of the
    acoustic piano, without it we are relegating good musicianship and
    enjoyment
    of acoustical piano music to a privleged (sp) few. Perhaps, this is
    what
    Steinway would perfer. Kudos to the faculty of ASU.

    Sorry my spell check does not work.