[CAUT] Recording a Steinway D

David J. Pope dpope at bgnet.bgsu.edu
Fri Dec 7 12:16:41 MST 2007

I've been recording a Hamburg C using the new Digi003 & ProTools. I use the Elation small diaphragm condensor mics with GREAT success. I also have a pair of the large diaphragm M-Audio (from DigiDesign) and find them barely OK until they're compared to the Elations which blow them out of the water.

The mics are placed about 3 feet from the rim and about 5 feet off the floor, tilted into the strings - one toward the tail and one about at the treble bridge. This distance seems ideal unless you have a "perfect" room to record in. Bear in mind that the new plug-ins that come with ProTools are quite effective in enhancing what comes off the mics, although there are much better plug -ins available if you're willing to spend the money.

Good luck.

David Pope
BGSU