[CAUT] unmusical caster noise

Don Mannino DMannino at kawaius.com
Wed Dec 5 09:44:55 MST 2007

Jim,

Sometimes those big German casters rock a little when locked in the
front - I have heard that noise before, but not from the un-locked
caster.  The locking casters tend to wear a bit, and acquire a little
knocking free play when locked down.

You might try a little spray grease on the caster axle, to see if you
are getting noise from an unlubricated shaft.  Start up friction could
be at fault, with a little rocking of the piano making a noise.  I
haven't experienced this, though, so it's just a guess.

Kawai puts the locking casters on the front to give the most solid basis
for the player.  If either of the front legs have a little wiggle in
them, then this can take a small amount of power out of the tone.
Similar argument as for tonal loss from a spider dolly.

Don Mannino

  _____