[CAUT] prepared pianos

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Sun Dec 2 14:52:00 MST 2007

On 12/1/07 7:33 AM, "reggaepass at aol.com" <reggaepass at aol.com> wrote:

>  Thank you, Fred, for your recommendation of our video.
>
> Like the BYU guidelines, in the video we recommended using chaulk.  Our
> thinking has since "evolved" on this point. In an addendum we send out with
> every copy of "Non-Traditional Piano Use",  we  recommend that for most
> people, some kind of low-residue tape may work much better.
>
> Fred, do you use the post-it edge rather than blue Scotch painters tape, or
> even drafting tape because they are too sticky?
>
> Alan Eder

Hi Alan,
    My use of Post-it pre-dated the blue tape. But I still prefer it for
weight, and for ease of cutting a tiny strip and applying it. Also good for
other labeling like damper heads and agraffes (easier to write on and to
read what is written). Masking type tapes are thicker and have enough mass
(depending how much is used) to ³smear² the unison. And they do have more
adhesive, which has the potential to stay on the string, though fortunately
much less so than old masking tape. I guess my recommendation also has to do
with keeping it simple. Most everyone has access to post-its. And not
everyone has the intelligence or experience to be clear about differences in
types of masking and other purpose tapes. But really I have no objection to
Scotch blue, drafting, or gaffers tapes. I don¹t think they leave enough
residue to worry about.
    BTW, the best alternative is to have a Sauter grand with the nodes
marked nicely on the soundboard, and the damper heads pre-marked. Let¹s all
go out and buy one <G>.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico