[CAUT] Fallboard locks

Jeff Tanner jtanner at mozart.sc.edu
Wed Aug 22 09:47:32 MDT 2007

On Aug 21, 2007, at 10:09 AM, TJGRAVES wrote:

> Hi List
>     I was wondering what kind of fallboard lock you have. Because
> currently
> we have the "Hands Off" lock that are only about 3yrs and the locking
> mechanism is already broke and they need to be replaced since it
> doesn't
> look like it can be repaired.  Has anyone had good luck with the Jaras
> fallboard lock that Schaff sells?  From the picture it appears to
> have a
> regular pad lock that looks like can be replaced if it ever breaks.
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Tony Graves RPT
> Piano Technician
> School of Music
> Ball State University
> Muncie, IN 47306
> (765) 285-0053

Fallboard locks cause torn up pianos.  We don't use them.

UGA used a bra style structure that fit over the entire front of the
piano.  A steel bar locked it in place behind the legs and it was
padlocked.  Only faculty could have a copy or check out a key.  I
liked it very much.  I believe they were custom made there at the
university shop somehow.
Jeff

Jeff Tanner, RPT
University of South Carolina